Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Schedule.

My little Bevin at the farm :)

Some more sweet girls at the farm
Moyo with the Pinelands girls!

We officially started all our projects last week, but this week everything changed. With the blessing of so many volunteers, it was impossible to let us choose where we wanted to be. So instead we were placed and replaced in all the projects. So I actually have a whole new schedule!

Monday: Symphony High School – teaching life skills class; SOS teens in the evening for bible study

Tuesday: Devotion & cleaning day; the farm teens in the afternoon

Wednesday: Accordian Primary – teaching life skills class; SOS teens in the evening for a more practical study

Thursday: To be confirmed – Excelsior High School – teaching life skills class; the farm teens in the afternoon

Friday: Staff meeting/planning/catch up in the office day!

A pretty packed schedule, but I was very excited to see that I was working with all teen groups. I mean don’t get me wrong, I love my farm babies and the kids at SOS, but I definitely know I’m more gifted to work with a teenage group.

This week we were unable to go into Accordian Primary, because they had a standardized test, and Excelsior was unable to confirm, so we began the week in Symphony! I actually LOVE teaching at the high school! It is draining, because we constantly have to fight for their attention, but I had no idea I would enjoy it so much. My mom has always wanted me to be a teacher, so I guess she can thank YFC for throwing me head first into the class room!

The teens at SOS are so dear to me, even after this short week. They are so hungry for God. It is amazing to see them step up and lead discussion, as well as make sure everyone is quiet and attentive. They all have their own wonderful personalities and senses of humor. It never fails that we are rolling in laughter most of the time that we are together. Even with their difficult backgrounds and testimonies, they are faithful and hungry for more. They inspire me!

Because of all the extra time in the office, Jorine (a volunteer from Holland) and I were able to clean out the closet at the office. You might think that isn’t a big deal, but if you could have seen the closet, you would understand. We were pulling out papers and manuals and videos from the 80s! It was hot and messy work, but we had a lot of fun doing it. And in the end, you can now actually step inside the closet and touch the back wall, which was unheard of just a week ago. If you really want to bond with someone, clean out a very messy closet together. You’ll learn a lot about each other… J

I am beginning to see God’s purpose for me here. It’s easy to get caught up in my expectations, but I’m finally releasing my self to His will. God use me!

Prayer requests: pray that I can trust God with my purpose here. I trusted Him enough to quit my job and come to Africa, why can’t I trust Him now?! Pray for open hearts and minds for the teens that we are working with.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment