Sunday, February 6, 2011

the starting line

Sunset at Blouberg

Vissershok athletic day

Little Tabasa... SOS Kids

Farm Creche sweeties

We have officially started the projects… All this preparation has lead up to this week. We are still trying to find our perfect placement, and where we belong in the projects. I have definitely been restless and ready for the projects to begin. I think all of us have. But now all our waiting has paid off!

This week I went back to the farm and to SOS kids. I was very surprised to be doing nothing with teenagers. This week I spent mostly working with children, and I enjoyed it (surprisingly)! Working with youth back home, I figured I would be immediately placed in a setting working with teens, but humility struck, as I was placed with the younger age groups. I love the precious children at the farm crèche. We just come in the morning and brush the little one’s teeth, wash their faces and give them something to eat and drink. Then we do a little bible story with them. They only speak Afrikaans, so Trevor, one of the local volunteers, helps with the translation. We hang out and play for a little longer and then head out.

Later in the day, I went to the SOS Village. We tried to put on the kids program we planned for earlier in the day, but we didn’t get the building we usually have due to some kind of training (welcome to Africa). After trying to vie for the kid’s attention, we ended up playing outside with the kids for an hour or so. It was fun, but as they say here in South Africa, it was hectic!

Wednesday night we had a braai (bbq) at Rolf (the national director of YFC South Africa) & Lizzie Weichardt’s. All of the volunteers were finally here, and it was time to celebrate! I had the opportunity to lead worship for everyone, and Rolf gave us a good word. It was nice to just enjoy some time with everyone together: all the YFC staff, plus both houses, and all the new volunteers that had just arrived.

Thursday some of us went to help Vissershok with their athletics days. Vissershok is a school that is near the Dunoon Township and the farm. A lot of the kids we see at the farm go to this primary school. We arrived early in the morning to catch the bus to go with them to their event. We arrived and spread out to help with the different track events. It is literally a track & field meet for all the local schools. Kids as young as 5 were competing! I helped with the boy’s long jump, and I can safely say some of those boys have bright futures in the Olympics. Aside from the horrendous burn I got from sitting in the sun for 6 hours, it was a good day supporting our Vissershok kiddos.

Tired from a full week, I happened to glance out the window Thursday night to see the loveliest sunset… It reminded me of just how big and beautiful my God is. However exhausted I am, I know God is with me. He even wishes me sweet dreams by painting a gorgeous sky as the sun retreats behind the horizon. I mean, I’ve seen a lot of sunsets, but there was just something special about this one… it spoke to me: a message of rest and reassurance.

God is my refuge.

-Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment