Wednesday, March 9, 2011

cup of tea.

As I sit in the living room, listening to chill music, drinking my tea, surrounded by some of my international roomies: I can’t help but think of what brought me here. Drinking tea is a very European concept. We Americans wouldn’t just fire up a kettle and make a pot of tea for our guests, but now drinking tea has become my daily/nightly ritual. Right before bed, a cup of tea is down right soothing… And I really take the time to think and relax (which is awfully uncommon for me).

But anyways, back to “what brought me here?” How does God really orchestrate all of this? It’s clearly beyond me, but I can’t help but be amazed each and everyday I’m here; and more than that, humbled. I’m struggling this week though, and I’m not used to this feeling. I either never admit that I am having a hard time, or I just never let myself get this overwhelmed. I try to be too strong sometimes. Those that are closest to me know this fact.

Part of my struggle, I haven’t talked to my family in a couple weeks, and I haven’t talked to my sister since she was life-flighted to the hospital for her heart. It’s very hard to be away from home when the people closest to you are struggling. I just hope they can feel my heart and love for them all the way from Africa. In this time, I am forced to identify my limits… that’s a good thing though! Everyone should have a good understanding of how much they can handle. BOUNDARIES are such an important thing in ministry work! But sometimes we need to reach our limit to be aware of it.

Surprisingly, my bedtime is now 9pm… As I watch the minutes tick by waiting for 9pm, I can hear my heart beat. I can hear myself think. I can hear the doubts and fears. I can hear the pain. I can feel the reminder of Table Mountain that I climbed on Saturday… like bitter scars. Luckily, today the sunset was beautiful. Blazing on high from the front window of the house. It made me ever so grateful for the pain and struggle and for a God that can overcome all of it.

Favorite moment this week: At Accordian Primary School this week, we talked about “Values.” The students had to create their own planets and instill their own values and decide on laws. Many of the students decided on laws and rules like no littering, no violence and no smoking. Then the last group read their rules: everyone will have shelter, they will respect each other, and no child will be without parents. If only we could make that a law. YFC South Africa was founded with the fatherless child in mind. Every youth needs love and nurturing. They need those people in their life that are going to push them and inspire them and provide for them. It becomes so real when 11 year olds recognize such a need. In a moment and through a simple illustration, God reminded me why I am here in South Africa.

Prayer requests – Pray for the youth of the nation of South Africa. Pray that they can have those people in their lives to inspire them and raise them up. Pray for me to keep my focus, even in the hard times. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” –Phil. 4:13

-Kristen :)

And now for some pictures:

A sunset to be grateful for...

The summit of Table Mountain: accomplished.

Accordian Primary: a class working on their assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment